How to Obtain Your Green Card Marriage from a TN Visa
Yes, a TN-1 Visa holder can obtain a Green card by marriage. We help Canadians and Mexicans with their Green card marriage application each day, so you can do it, too.
There are three possible options to obtain your Green card by marriage, they are:
- Adjustment of Status: I-485 (most popular for TNs)
- K3 Spouse Visa
- CR1/IR1 Visa (Consulate Processing)
Before you begin the process there are several considerations you must understand in order to choose the best option for you.
TN Visa to Green Card Marriage - Key Considerations
1. TN Visa is Temporary (Nonimmigrant Intent), marriage is not
When you obtain your TN-1 Visa, your intention to stay is temporary. That is, you will one day return to your home country and not seek permanent residency. Once you get married to an American citizen, you are showing a different intent than that of the TN Visa. So you must be careful until your Adjustment of Status is approved.
2. TN-1 Visa Expiry Date and Marital Status
If you are already married to a U.S. citizen and working on a TN Visa, you most likely will not be able to renew your TN Visa since USCIS will now believe you want to remain in the U.S. permanently.
3. Uninterrupted Employment
One of the key considerations for most TN Visa holders is to ensure they can work continuously throughout the TN Visa to Green card process. Having sufficient time on your TN Visa is a major factor in completing this process successfully without any work interruption.
4. TN Visa Renewal, Your Marriage Date and Immigration Fraud
One of the requirements of the TN Visa is to have temporary intent. Getting married to an American shows your intent to stay in the U.S. is temporary and some TN Visa holders experience issues with immigration fraud. Ensure you do not put yourself in a situation of being denied your marriage based Green card due to lack of planning and being impatient.
Your Next step, to avoid issues:
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to evaluate your situation and answer your questions.
TN Visa to Green Card Marriage - Your Marriage Visa Options
1. TN Visa to Adjustment of Status (I-485)
This is the quickest route to obtaining your Green card by marriage. If your situation enables you to file for the Adjustment of Status to obtain your Green card, this will be most ideal based on time, no employment interruption and not having to leave the U.S.
Adjustment of Status Highlights:
- Time to obtain Green card: 4-6 months.
- Time to obtain your Employment Authorization Document (EAD): within 90 days.
- After obtaining EAD, you no longer require a TN Visa.
- With an EAD you can work at any job (no NAFTA Occupation requirement).
- Marriage interview will be in the U.S. Do not need to leave the country.
- Can leave the U.S. by applying for a special travel authorization.
- Let sufficient time pass between your TN Visa entry and Green card application.
2. K3 Visa for TN Visa Holders
If your foreign spouse is a Canadian or Mexican working in the U.S. on a TN Visa, then you do not need to consider a K3 Visa for them, simply start the Adjustment of Status process.
If your foreign spouse is not currently in the U.S., then the K3 spouse Visa is viable option you may want to consider.
3. CR1 Visa for TN Visa Holders
This can be an option for TN Visa holders for various reasons. If your situation requires this option ensure your TN Visa has sufficient time before it expires so you can continue work until you obtain your Green card.
4. CR1 Visa for Canadians living in Canada
This is a longer process, but is a great option if your foreign spouse is not in a rush to enter the U.S. and willing to live in Canada while the CR1 spouse visa is being processed. The benefit to the CR1/IR1 Visa is they will obtain their Green card immediately upon entering the U.S. Current applications through the Vancouver/Montreal U.S. Embassy are taking about 11 to 12 months. If your situation requires this option ensure your TN Visa has sufficient time before it expires so you can continue work until you obtain your Green card.
5. CR1 Visa for Mexicans living in Mexico
This is similar to above and is a great option for Mexican spouses if they in a rush to enter the U.S. and willing to live in Mexico while the CR1 spouse visa is being processed. The benefit to the CR1/IR1 Visa is they will obtain their Green card immediately upon entering the U.S. Current applications through Mexico City Consulate are taking about 11 to 12 months.
CR1 Visa Highlights:
- Time to obtain Green card: 11-12 months
- Green card received immediately upon entering the U.S.
- Marriage interview will take place in Canada (or Mexico).
- May be able to leave and re-enter the U.S. while application is pending
TN Visa to Green Card Marriage - Next Steps
1. If you have any questions about your situation, email us at: email@example.com
2. The Automated Marriage Visa Streamline System can help you complete your application quickly, stress-free and without high lawyer fees.
- Have all your questions answered. This is part of the service we provide so you have no confusion.
- Avoid worries since all the USCIS government forms are completed for you.
- Do not be stressed. Our system ensures your application is valid and correct so you get your Green Card.
- Learn the key marriage interview tips to have your interview go smoothly.
- No high lawyer fees.
- No risk, we offer a money back guarantee.