TN Visa - Frequently Asked Question
How do I get my Social Security Number? Do I need to get it before obtaining the TN Visa?
How to apply for your Social Security Number
1. Download and complete the Social Security Application Form. (Form SS-5)
2. Gather Supporting Documents (Passport, TN Visa, drivers license). Read more about the documents required.
3. Mail or submit your documents to the nearest SSO office.
Note: You can start working without an SSO number, since you have your TN as proof that you are authorized to work. An employer can pay you without this number or you can wait to have them pay you once your number arrives.
After Your TN Visa Expires, Lost Your TN Visa Job, Switch Jobs
Your Social Security Number is still valid after your TN expires, your job ends or you switch jobs. If you found another TN Visa job, you would use the same Social Security Number. This number belongs to you. If you use it without a valid TN Visa, then you are working illegally which you should not do.
Submitted by: Lauren G. of Niagra Falls, Ontario, Canada
More Tn Visa Application Questions
- If my TN Visa application is denied, can I still enter the United States?
- Should I bring transcripts when I apply for the TN Visa at the border?
- Is there a minimum salary I must make to apply for the TN Visa?
- I was denied my TN Visa, can I try again at a different border crossing? Will I be denied again?
- I am on a TN Visa and have received a promotion. My TN Visa has not expired yet, do I need to apply for a new TN Visa?
- I worked in the U.S. 2 years ago on a TN Visa and had a Social Security Number (SSN). I am returning for another job in the U.S., can I use the same SSN?
- I have Canadian company and need to send my employees for accounting and engineering jobs. How do I prepare the TN Visa application letter?
- I have a TN Visa, can I qualify for the Green card?
- Do I need a TD Visa for my dependents when I apply for my TN Visa?
- I think I qualify for the TN Visa. Can you tell me how to start figuring the TN Visa process out?
- Is it true when I apply for my TN Visa there is no paper based I-94 card?
- I have a girlfriend in the U.S. and I want to find an accounting job in the U.S. and get my TN Visa as an accountant. What should I do?
- I have been entering the U.S. on a B-1 business visitor visa but this time the Immigration Officer said I need a TN Visa for a Management Consultant. What should I do?
- Can a lawyer accompany me to the border for the TN Visa? Is it required?
- I am applying for my TN Visa as a Registered Nurse. For the Visa Screen requirement, do I need to take all my credentials or just my CGFNS certificate?
- Do I need to quit my current job before getting another TN visa?
- I received my degree from India and have a credential evaluation to show it qualifies as a Canadian University degree. Will this work for my TN Visa?
- I graduate from University in April but will not have my degree until July. Can I obtain a TN Visa without my actual degree? I will have transcripts.
- I am on a TN Visa and working in the U.S. Can I marry my girlfriend (we are both Mexicans) and get her TD visa so she can stay with me?
- I am a Mexican citizen and want to obtain my TN Visa for a Canadian job. Where do I apply?
- For my TN Visa, do I need a degree and work experience?
- Can I change jobs with my TN Visa? I found a new job.
- What does my TN visa letter of employment need so that I get the TN Visa?
- I am Mexican and have an Engineering degree. I got a job offer from a Canadian company as an engineer. What do I have to do to obtain a TN Visa to work in Canada?
- I commuted everyday from Canada (Windsor to Michigan with a TN Visa under NAFTA. My job ended suddenly and the TN Visa expires in 6 months. Should hold on to the visa in case another job starts or return my TN visa?
- I finished my undergraduate degree and am currently working on OPT. I wish to change to the TN Visa. Can I do this and how do I obtain my TN Visa?
- How do I apply for a TN Visa? How do I create my TN Visa application?
- I am an American Engineer in Oil and Gas industry and have a job offer to work in Alberta Canada? Do I qualify and will the TN Visa Expert Kit work for me?
- I am an American who wants to work in Canada. I want to apply for the TN Visa but I heard it's not called TN visa it's called R204(a) T23. Do I have to do something different in my application?
- I am on a TN Visa and I want to study at a post-secondary school (college or university). Can I study on my TN Visa?
- I qualify for a NAFTA TN Visa, but i am having problems with the job interview. Most employers are impressed by my skills but do not want to hire me when they learn I need a TN Visa - what can I do?
- I want to apply for my TN Visa should I hire a lawyer or use the TN Visa Kit? I am a Canadian and recently got a job offer in the U.S.
- When should I apply for a TD Visa for myself and my children? My husband is already working with a TN Visa.
- When can I cross the border for my TN Visa? Can I cross the border 3 weeks before my start date and get my TN1 Visa.
- I am applying for my TN Visa to work in the U.S. Can my girlfriend of 6 years come with me?
- I am an American who has a job offer in Canada. Will the TN Visa Expert Kit work for me?
- I am a registered nurse and applying for a TN Visa. Do I need the Visa Screen certificate if I passed my NCLEX exam?
- I am on a TN Visa for another 2 years but my passport is expiring soon. Do I need to get another TN Visa when I get my new passport?
- If I am on a TN Visa, are my RRSPs taxed in the U.S.?
- I just bought your TN Visa Kit, thanks! I am Canadian citizen but my wife is a Chinese citizen. Can she obtain her TD Visa at the Port of Entry?
- I went to the border for my TN Visa and the Immigration Officer told me to come back in 3 weeks on Oct 01 when my start date is. Can I not go earlier than my start date?
- If my wife becomes Canadian after getting a TD visa to the US as a PR of Canada does she need to get a new TD visa or can she continue to use her third country passport?
- I have a TN Visa and my husband has his Green card. Can I get a Green card through him?
- I am on a TN Visa and I just lost my job. What options do I have?
- Do I have to return to Canada to apply for a TN Visa with a new employer or can I go to the New York airport (JFK)?
- I am on a TN1 Visa and have given my resignation. I will be returning to Canada next week but I do not know where to return my I-94 Form?
- When I apply for my TN Visa, can I bring my household goods (TV, furniture, car, etc)?
- After I start working in the U.S. on a TN Visa, can I go back to Canada to rent my house and then return to the U.S.?
- I am a Canadian living in the U.S. and I want to marry my boyfriend who is a U.S. citizen. Can I get married to him and get my Green card? What if my TN is expiring soon?
- I have worked in the USA for 5 years on a TN1 Visa and have contributed over $40,000 into Social Security. Am I able to get this money back?
- I am applying for my TN Visa. What do I need to show for ties back to Canada?
- I want to apply for a TN Visa, my degree is from China in Computer Science - what do I need to do?
- What if I don't have my marriage certificate when I apply for my TN Visa? We are getting married this month, but it takes 10 weeks to receive the marriage certificate in the mail. Can my spouse still enter on a TD Visa?
- I am applying for my TN Visa as a Management Consultant. What should I be careful of?
- Do I need to file one or two tax returns after I move to the U.S. on my TN Visa?
- I got my TN Visa - thank you! But do I need to declare any of my Canadian assets when I move to the U.S. on my taxes?
- I have a TN Visa and I am leaving my job 2 weeks before the TN Visa expires and going abroad. Can I return to the U.S. as a visitor?
- Do I need a consulting agreement for my TN Visa as a Management consultant?
- How can I stay a few months longer in the U.S. after my TN Visa expires? I need to tie up loose ends before leaving.
- Can I get a TN Visa after an H-1B visa? I have had two H-1B visas and now need to leave for one year. How can I get a TN Visa?
- I was on a TN Visa but have been recently laid off. How can I get Unemployment Insurance?
- I was approved for a TN Visa, which expires next month. I do not plan on renewing it, as I have returned to Canada early for another job. I have the white TN card stapled in my passport. How and when am I supposed to give it back?
- For my TN Visa, I received a job with a recruiting firm. Initially they will pay my salary, then after 3 months I will be paid by the other company. Who should the employer letter be from?
- I am getting a TN Visa - Thank you. What visa does my daughter need and can she attend school?
- As a Nurse, do I need my state license when I apply for the TN Visa?
- Where can I apply for my TN Visa?
- Can I travel and leave the U.S. while on a TN Visa?
- Is it true that if I have a TN Visa and I end up losing my job, i have 6 months to find another job in the U.S.?
- I am a Mexican with a TN Visa. Can I visit Mexico and return without any issues?
- I wish to get my TN Visa for myself, my common-law spouse and our daughter. Can I obtain a TD Visa for them after obtaining my TN1 Visa?
- I've created my TN Visa using the TN Visa Guide, but I want it reviewed. Is this possible?
- For my TN Visa, I only need to complete the I-129 form, right?
- Where can I get the TN Visa application forms?
- I was wondering if I can fly into San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX) airport directly from Asia (or Europe) and get my TN stamp at the airport.
- Is the TN Visa valid for 1 year or 3 years?
- Are TN Visas difficult to get for registered nurses?
- I am a Management Consultant and have an opportunity to work in the U.S. Will the TN Visa work for me? Can I use the TN Visa Expert Kit? How long will it take?
- I am in Guadalajara, Mexico and have a degree in Computing Science from Guadalajara University "Universidad de Guadalajara". I want to get a TN visa but I don't know the process.
- Will a copy of my degree be sufficient for the TN Visa. My original is framed hanging in my parent's wall and they will be upset if I take it.
- What do I need to do for my Canadian and U.S. taxes when I come to the U.S. on a TN Visa?
- My husband will be on a TN Visa in the U.S. I will be on a TD Visa. My employer (a Canadian company) will allow me to work from home in the U.S. via the internet. Is this allowed?
- Do i need a visa when if I am going for a job interview in the U.S.
- What should I do if the Immigration Officer is asking a lot of questions for my TN Visa?
- How much does the TN Visa cost?
- Is going through a lawyer necessary for a TN Visa?
- How far in advance are you able to apply for the TN Visa at the border?
- I only have a Masters diploma which is relevant to the US position I am being offered. Will I have any problems if I only bring my Masters paperwork to the US Port of Entry?
- I am Canadian born but living in Europe. I have no ties to Canada. Will I get denied?
- Question: I've got a bachelors degree from India which is relevant to the US position. Will I have problems applying for my TN Visa?
- I obtained my BS Nursing in the Philippines. Do I still need to take my English Exam to satisfy the requirements of the VisaScreen for the TN Visa?
- I am a Canadian born citizen but have been living in Europe for the past 10 years and no longer have family or ties with Canada (besides my passport). Is this a problem when applying for a TN visa?
- Can I obtain my TN visa at the Pearson Airport in Toronto? Can you obtain the visa at an airport customs office or do you have to go to a landed border crossing? If you could respond as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it since I need to book a plane ticket very soon.