Hello,

I am currently working for a company on TN Visa. However, I am also being offered another job within the same company. Could you kindly let me know if I need to reapply for TN while changing the job or can I transfer to the new job under the same TN? The new job is in the same company I currently work for.

Thanks!

asked 17 Mar '13, 09:49

armado's gravatar image

armado
accept rate: 0%

Share this question with your friends:

Yes, you can change jobs on a TN Visa. There are various strategies to employ when you wish to change jobs on a TN Visa so that you do not jeopardize your current immigration visa. Click here to read more about how to change jobs on a TN Visa.

link

answered 18 Mar '13, 01:42

tnvisa's gravatar image

tnvisa
accept rate: 27%

edited 18 Mar '13, 11:18

Hello,

Thank you for the response. However, the link on your post is not click-able. Could you please give the link again?

link

answered 18 Mar '13, 09:59

armado's gravatar image

armado

Hi. Link fixed, please click link in answer again.

link

answered 18 Mar '13, 11:20

tnvisa's gravatar image

tnvisa

Thank you for the update. The link does talk about changing jobs. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am changing position within the same company to perform a different line of work.

Does the procedure for changing jobs between companies apply to changing positions within the same company?

Thanks!

link

answered 18 Mar '13, 11:27

armado's gravatar image

armado

Yes, it applies to changing job positions as well. Not all jobs qualify for the TN visa, so you have to be careful when accepting a different job within the same company as to whether it will qualify under NAFTA or not.

link

answered 19 Mar '13, 00:42

tnvisa's gravatar image

tnvisa

Have you guys thought about the "2-week notice period" when changing jobs on TN? In other words, after you get the new TN status (I94), can you still work for the old employer for 2 weeks?

If not, one would have to resign first and give the notice period and then go to the border for the new TN. This is highly risky if one wants to behave in a professional manner (i.e., giving the notice period). Tough situation!

link

answered 07 Oct '13, 03:32

rzchen9's gravatar image

rzchen9

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×79
×6
×2

Asked: 17 Mar '13, 09:49

Seen: 11,024 times

Last updated: 07 Oct '13, 03:32