Can one secure the new TN and then resign and give the 2-week notice period to the old employer? If not, one has to choose which poison pill to swallow. (1) quit current job,work through the notice period and then apply for the new TN with new employer (2) get the new TN, inform the old employer (NO NOTICE PERIOD!!!)

When I called CBP, the officer said that they would take away the old I94 and I would need to stop working for the old employer the moment I get the new TN. He also said that it doesn't help even if the effective date on the new petition letter was two weeks later: they always let the TN to start from application date at the border (not the effective date indicated on the petition letter).

But I've heard the opposite on many discussion forums. Any insight/experience would be appreciated.

asked 07 Oct '13, 03:30

rzchen9's gravatar image

rzchen9
accept rate: 0%

Share this question with your friends:

Switching jobs is a common scenario and with the TN Visa it is very easy to do. As a TN Visa holder you are allowed to hold multiple TNs and hence multiple jobs. The Officer may not realize this. One can get the new TN while still holding their current job and then quit their old job after 2weeks.

good luck!

link

answered 15 Jul '14, 13:19

tnvisa's gravatar image

tnvisa
accept rate: 27%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×19
×5
×1
×1
×1

Asked: 07 Oct '13, 03:30

Seen: 1,606 times

Last updated: 15 Jul '14, 13:19