K1 Visa Overview
Is your fiancé living outside the United States? Would you like them to join you so you can stay together as you arrange for marriage?
What they need is a K1 Fiance Visa.
A K1 Fiance Visa allows an noncitizen fiance to enter the United States as a nonimmigrant and live with their American fiance(e). Once your fiance(e) enters the United States you will to get married to them; then start the Adjustment of Status process so they can acquire a Green Card.
The K1 visa grants the couple and their children the freedom to live in the United States, as a Green Card is being processed for the noncitizen fiance(e).
For many applicants, the process does not go smoothly. According to statistics, close to 30% of applications are delayed due to incomplete or incorrect information.
Watch Video: K1 Visa Process in 10 Easy Steps
Process of Applying for a K1 Visa Simplified
You want to get a K1 Fiancé Visa the first time you apply for it. At TN Visa Expert, we have simplified the application process for you:
- You have our guidance to avoid stress and anxiety.
We assist you each step along the way. This includes Embassy support.
- Experience shorter processing times.
Your application will be mailed in quicker without mistakes.
- Avoid confusion and anxiety.
Knowing which forms to complete and how to fill them can be stressful and confusing. To solve this we provide an easy online form and we complete the complicated USCIS forms.
- You save time and money.
Using our online system, saves the lawyer a lot of time and we pass this savings to you.
K1 VISA - Important Guidelines
These are important guidelines you must be aware of for the K1 visa so as not to violate the terms and be forced to have your fiance leave the United States.
They are as follows:
- K1 Fiance Visa Petition must be filed by the U.S. citizen with USCIS (US Immigration) on behalf of his/her fiance.
- After the petition is approved, the fiance must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad.
- The marriage must take place within ninety days of entry into the United States or your fiance must leave the country.
- The K1 visa cannot be renewed
- Your unmarried children under the age of 21 are eligible to accompany you on your K1 visa. They will apply for the K-2 Visa.
- After using the K1 visa to come to the United States and get married, your foreign spouse has the choice of either returning to their home country or staying and applying for a U.S. Green Card by starting the Adjustment of Status Process.
Check out our Visa Streamline System and avoid the common pitfalls which ruin the plans and dreams of many K1 Fiancé Visa applicants.
K1 VISA - Eligibility Requirements
The main eligibility criteria for getting a K1 Fiance visa are:
- One person is a U.S. citizen (not a permanent resident or green card holder)
- Both members of the couple are legally able to marry (single and of legal age)
- Your fiance must have a genuine intention of marrying you, the U.S. citizen petitioner, after arriving in the U.S.
- The two of you must have met and seen each other in person within the past two years.
- You must meet the minimum income requirements or have a sponsor
This visa is not for use by couples who are simply considering marriage. You will have to show that you have made actual wedding plans for your 90-day stay. For example having the place, date, and type of ceremony or proceedings organized - even if it's only in front of a judge.
K1 VISA - Get Married in the USA
Once you marry - if the 90-day validity period of the K1 visa has not yet expired - you may file for a Green Card without leaving the United States. This is called Adjustment of Status.
Since you have already gotten a K1 visa, you are exempt from the normal first step in this process (the I-130 visa petition). You will, however, be subject to the two-year conditional residency placed on green cards obtained through marriage to a U.S. citizen.
Complete All USCIS Documents Easily and QuicklyLearn More
The Visa Streamline System has automated and simplified the application process. We complete all USCIS forms for you, so you can bring your fiance quickly to the U.S.
K1 VISA - Religious/Hardship Waiver
For some couples, the requirement that they have already met is difficult or violates their religious principles. If you practice a religion in which marriages are customarily arranged by families and premarital meetings are prohibited, you can ask that a meeting requirement be waived.
You'll have to show that both parties will be following all the customs of marriage and weddings that are part of the religion. It is also possible to get a waiver of the personal meeting requirement if such a meeting would cause an extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen member of the couple.
Only the most extreme situations involving medical problems are likely to be regarded as a good enough reason for the waiver to be granted. Economic problems alone are not usually acceptable.
K1 VISA - Application Documents
There are several USCIS forms and supporting documents that need to be completed to make up the complete K1 Fiance Application. They are as follows:
- Form I-129F - Petition for Alien
- Form G-325A - Biographics
- Supporting documents
- Passport photographs
- Pay USCIS Document Fees ($340 + additional form fees)
K1 VISA - Application Process
Getting the K1 visa is a four-step process and the fifth step is for your Green Card:
- Mail the K1 visa petition on USCIS Form I-129F with filing fee to a USCIS regional service center in the United States.
- After the petition is approved, your application is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). They will then forward your application to the U.S. Embassy in your fiance(e)'s country.
- The U.S. Embassy will then contact your fiance(e) to complete additional forms and provide supporting documents as well as pay an additional visa fee. Your fiance(e) will bring these to the interview at the U.S. Embassy in their home country.
- If approved, your foreign fiance(e) obtains their K1 visa and uses this visa to enter the United States.
- You then get married in the U.S. within 90 days of arrival and begin the Adjustment of Status process for your fiance(e)'s Green card.
The K1 Fiance Visa processing time is 4-7 months in most cases. If you are part of the 30% who makes a mistake or submits an incomplete application your processing time can be longer than 10 months.
Unfortunately, you will not know if your application is incomplete until the government informs you. You can avoid these types of costly mistakes by using the Visa Streamline System.
K1 VISA - Fees
The total USCIS filing fees can vary. Here is a basic guideline of what you can expect to pay.
- Filing an Alien Fiance Petition - $535 USD (paid by US Citizen at time of initial filing)
- Consulate application processing fee - $240 USD (varies with each embassy, paid by foreign fiance)
- Medical examination (required for each K visa applicant; costs vary with each embassy)
- Other costs may include translation and photocopying charges, fees for getting the documents required for the visa application (such as passport, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.), and travel expenses to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an interview. Costs vary from country to country and case to case.
K1 Fiance Visa - Use Visa Streamline Preparation System
You can complete the K1 visa by using the Marriage Visa Expert Preparation System. This Visa Preparation System is automated and approved by a lawyer. You will:
- No Confusion. Have all your questions answered.
- Legal Support and Avoid red flags. A lawyer is assigned to you and you get a strategy session with them.
- Avoid worries. All the USCIS government forms are completed for you.
- Easy. We also complete the USCIS forms required at the Consulate.
- Fast. We have an online system for you to log into.
- Be Prepared. Learn the key marriage interview tips to have your interview go smoothly.
- No Risk. We offer a money back guarantee.
Many people spend months trying to figure out how to apply. They post questions to forums, search the internet for endless documents to read … on and on. If they make a mistake, USCIS (US immigration) asks for more information, causing delays.
Why go through that hassle when we have made everything so easy for you?
At TN Visa Expert, we have a well laid out plan for you. A plan that leads to success! Our Visa Streamline System is a proven method which has helped thousands of couples save money and settle in the United States. If you don’t get a visa through us, you get your money back. Try it now:
Popular Visa Questions Asked
the TN Visa Facebook Page
I am in the U.S. Navy stationed in Japan. My french fiance wants to get married as quickly as possible. We are not doing a wedding until after we receive the marriage certificate. What are my marriage visa options?
You can marry anywhere you want. A marriage certificate comes after the legal/civil wedding is completed. When you decide to move back to the U.S. you will want to petition for a Spouse Visa so ......
Submitted by: Jason S. of Yokosuka , JapanRead More
I am on a F1 student visa which expires in 5 months. Can my fiance and I start the K1 visa process while I am in the U.S.? I will be returning to my country after my school is finished.
Yes, you can start your K1 fiance application while in the U.S. There are several conditions that will need to be met before you get started.
First, take the free visa ......
Submitted by: Sofia D. of Miami, Florida, USARead More
What would disqualify me for the K1 visa, K3 visa or Adjustment of Status?
Certain conditions and activities may make an applicant ineligible for a visa.
Examples of these ineligibilities are:
Trafficking in Drugs
Overstaying a previous visa
Advocating the overthrow of the ......
Submitted by: Susan H. of Boston, MA, USARead More